mom shocked at teen’s social media – photo courtesy of Egoitz Bengoetxea on shutterstock Starting Tuesday, major tech companies including Los Angeles County-based Snapchat and TikTok must begin enforcing the Take It Down Act, a law requiring platforms to remove intimate photos or videos shared online without victims’ consent or face fines and a federal investigation. As part of its enforcement, the Federal Trade Commission has launched TakeItDown.ftc.gov, a website allowing victims and survivors to submit complaints about platforms that have failed to act on valid requests for the removal of non-consensual intimate images. The website also accepts complaints about platforms that have failed to create a process for people to request removal of the images. “Thanks to first lady Melania Trump’s dedication, the public, especially children, will have recourse against digital exploitation and extortion,” FTC Chairman Andrew N. Ferguson said in a statement. “In the age of AI, anyone can be targeted, and that becomes even more appalling if children are involved,” he said. “The Take It Down Act empowers families and provides the FTC with an effective tool to protect minors against this form of abuse.” Ferguson sent letters last week to major platforms — including Santa Monica-based
Read More











