Social media company X did not engage with gardaí in relation to posts by far-right agitators on the day of the Dublin riots, the Minister for Justice has said. The social media company X, previously known as Twitter, did not engage with gardaí regarding “vile posts” on its platform following the stabbing incident and rioting in Dublin last week, the Minister for Justice has said.Helen McEntee told the Dáil on Wednesday that “some” social media companies were “responsible” during the events last Thursday while “others were not”.“I spoke to a detective in Pearse Street on Saturday who was actively engaged with the social media companies throughout Thursday, who was actively engaged with TikTok, Meta or Instagram and Facebook and Twitter or X,” Ms McEntee said.“She said very clearly that social media companies, in particular TikTok and Meta, they were responding, engaging with gardaí and taking down these vile posts as they came up. X were not. They didn’t engage. They did not fulfil their own community standards.“That is why we are moving to a situation where these companies do not get to self-monitor, that’s why Coimisiún na Meán have been established, to make sure that these companies are held responsible
Read More












